Home Security Tips for the Summer
An increase in burglaries during the summer months means it’s time to help safeguard your clients’ homes while they’re away for the season or absent while selling. Ooma, a smart home phone and security company, offers six tips for preventing break-ins.
- Front door surveillance. Because 34 percent of break-ins happen through the front door of a home, recommend that your clients install a smart doorbell that routes to their phone. Other security options Ooma mentions include two-way speakers that will give visitors the impression the owner is home, or video cameras so your clients can see who’s at the door from their phone.
- Secured windows. The second most common break-in location is a first floor window, the access point of 23 percent of burglars. Ooma recommends installing sash locks and wireless motion sensors that will alert the homeowner if a window is opened or broken.
- Don’t forget the AC unit. Pushing in a window air conditioning unit is another common break-in method. Suggest motion sensors near the AC unit, or tell your clients to remove the unit while they’re away, Ooma says.
- Barring patio and sliding glass doors. Sliding doors should not only be locked, but should also have a barrier bar in the tracks. Ooma suggests homeowners place motion detectors in this area as well.
- Leave the lights on. The goal is to make the home appear lived in, even if your clients are vacationing or have already moved out. Ooma recommends smart lights that homeowners can control from their phone, or at the very least, light timers.
- Call 911 from afar. A homeowner trying to reach the police from a remote location can take valuable minutes. Home security companies, including Ooma, offer remote 911 calling.
Source: Ooma Home Security
Shared from DAILY REAL ESTATE NEWS
With summer upon us and many taking vacations, it’s important that you keep your home secure, especially while your home is listed on the market. This list is a good start to a safe home. Remember to always verify with your Listing Company who is showing your home!
Posted on July 6, 2017, in Home Tips, Legacy Realtor and tagged Family Safety, Garry Callis, Home Ownership, Home Security, Legacy Realtor, longmont real estate, Ooma, Summer Safety. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.